Featured 1 Aug 2007 Image
Mechanics Institute, c1880s
This view shows the orignal Mechanics Institute building. Built in a gothic style the Institute would have been an imposing building in the Railway Village. The octagonal covered market, which was demolished in 1891, can be seen to the rear.
The Mechanics Institute provided a library, theatre and games rooms for GWR employees and their families. It was built in 1854 and stood in the heart of the Village
© STEAM Picture Library 2007 - All Rights Reserved