Skip to main content

Home > Images Dated > 2007 > July > 10 Jul 2007

Images Dated 10th July 2007

Choose a picture from our collection for your Wall Art and Photo Gifts

19 Items

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: View of Swindon Works, c1860

View of Swindon Works, c1860
This early photograph of the Works was taken from St Marks Church and shows R Shop (Machine Shop). Hundreds of wheels can be seen stored outside ready to be fitted to vehicles

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1946

No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1946
These men are working hard helping to construct a Hawksworth coach body. Each piece of timber and frame had its own place and slotted in with exact precision

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 8 Shop, Carriage Paint Shop, 1953

No 8 Shop, Carriage Paint Shop, 1953
This was the sign writing section for all the carriages. All sorts of signs and notices were hand painted. It was a skillful job and a lot of precision was required

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 7 Shop, Carriage Finishing Shop, 1924

No 7 Shop, Carriage Finishing Shop, 1924
Dozens of men can be seen here in the carriage finishing shop. It was here that parts of the carriages were finished off. Doors

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: New Swindon, c1860

New Swindon, c1860
This early view of Swindon looking north shows the Works and the Railway Village in their infancy. St Marks Church can clearly be seen just behind the newly laid out park

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1913

No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1913
The large expanse that is the carriage body shop can be seen here. Several carriage bodies can be seen lined up as they are assembed

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 7 Carriage Finishing Shop, 1907

No 7 Carriage Finishing Shop, 1907
This photo looks to have been taken at the end of a working day. Tools have been left and sawdust can be seen on the floor after a day preparing doors

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 1 Shop, Sawmill, c1950s

No 1 Shop, Sawmill, c1950s
A view looking down the length of No.1 Shop, the sawmill. A crane is carrying a large log ready to be cut into timber. To the right newly cut timber lengths have been processed

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 1 Shop, Sawmill, 1909

No 1 Shop, Sawmill, 1909
Huge logs are waiting to be cut up here in the Swindon Works sawmill. A crane, spanning the width of the mill, is used to maneuver the logs onto the cutting machines

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: View of Swindon Works, c1930s

View of Swindon Works, c1930s
This photograph was taken from the Pattern Store building and shows tehe Works turntable and A Shop in the background

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: Old Saw Mills, Newburn Crescent, c1870

Old Saw Mills, Newburn Crescent, c1870
Before No 1 Sawmills opened in the far west of the Works wood was cut at a mill on Newburn Crescent. The men in this image have been busy cutting length of timber

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, c1920s

No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, c1920s
Several men can be seen here working on building coaches in No 4 Shop. The carriages are in varying stages from early frameworks to near completion

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: Carriage Body Shop, c1880

Carriage Body Shop, c1880
This carriage body shop stood in what was to become the No 2 Shop Sawmill. The carriage body shop eventually moved next door. The wooden aspect of the coaches were assembled here

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 1 Shop, Sawmill, November 1934

No 1 Shop, Sawmill, November 1934
A young boy is operating a firewood chopping machine. It is not clear if he is an apprentice. Boys were often given the simple, more menial, tasks

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 2 Shop, Sawmill, 1907

No 2 Shop, Sawmill, 1907
Lengths of cut timber can be seen awaiting processing in No.2 Shop, Sawmill. This sawmill was situated adjacent to Bristol Street in the Railway Village

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: View of Swindon Works, c1980s

View of Swindon Works, c1980s
This photograph was taken from St Marks Church and shows J Shop (Iron Foundry) to the left and R Shop in the centre. R Shop is now houses STEAM Museum of the GWR

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: No 1 Shop, Timber Yard, 1928

No 1 Shop, Timber Yard, 1928
The Timber Yard stored thousands of planks of wood. Some stacks were the height of three men! The Carriage and Wagon Works was the biggest user of the wood

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: Presentation of the Robins Bolitho Challenge Shield to the GWR Truro Ambulance Team, 1921

Presentation of the Robins Bolitho Challenge Shield to the GWR Truro Ambulance Team, 1921
Taken from the GWR Magazine, February 1922

Background imageImages Dated 10th July 2007: Presentation of the Robins Bolitho Challenge Shield to the GWR Truro Ambulance Team, 1921

Presentation of the Robins Bolitho Challenge Shield to the GWR Truro Ambulance Team, 1921
Taken from the GWR Magazine, February 1922


All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping