Featured Along the Tracks Image
Signal gantry at Newton Abbot Station, Devon, c.1920
A view of signal gantry at Newton Abbot Station, Devon, c.1920.
The station opened with the name Newton in December 1846 by the South Devon Railway Company. By the time the name was changed to Newton Abbot in 1877 the station had a large goods shed, train sheds and busy workshops which helped with converting the stock and line to standard gauge.
Newton Abbot station underwent an extension and rebuild between the wars, opening in April 1927 with a Culverhouse designed station building
© STEAM Museum of the GWR