Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > Stations and Halts

Stations and Halts Gallery

Stations of the GWR and Associated Companies

Choose from 571 pictures in our Stations and Halts collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Air Raid notice, issued to passengers in 1940 Featured Stations and Halts Print

Air Raid notice, issued to passengers in 1940

This notice was issued to passengers in August 1940 by the GWR's General Manager, James Milne. The safety of staff and passengers was of the utmost importance and the GWR was obliged to issue the correct directives. Many of the GWR's principal stations had huge overall roofs built from glass, iron, steel and wood and the threat of these huge structures collapsing during a bombing raid was extremely high

© STEAM Museum of the GWR

GWR station staff member in a gas mask, c.1939 Featured Stations and Halts Print

GWR station staff member in a gas mask, c.1939

During an air raid the threat of poison gas bombs being dropped by the German Luftwaffe was extremely high. Mustard gas was the most deadly gas available and could take up to 12 hours to take effect. 38 million gas masks were distributed in Britain to protect against any ill effects should gas bombs be dropped. After an air raid GWR staff would continue their normal duties, but in some instances would continue to wear their gas masks. This image shows a porter at Paddington Station wearing his mask. It must have been difficult to carry out normal tasks with limited visibility and restricted movement

Castle Class, No. 7029, Clun Castle at Newton Abbot Station, c.1950s Featured Stations and Halts Print

Castle Class, No. 7029, Clun Castle at Newton Abbot Station, c.1950s

A view of Castle Class, No. 7029, Clun Castle at Newton Abbot Station, Devon, c.1950s.
The station opened with the name Newton in December 1846 by the South Devon Railway Company. By the time the name was changed to Newton Abbot in 1877 the station had a large goods shed, train sheds and busy workshops which helped with converting the stock and line to standard gauge.
Newton Abbot station underwent an extension and rebuild between the wars, opening in April 1927 with a Culverhouse designed station building

© STEAM Museum of the GWR