Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Stations and Halts

Stations and Halts Gallery

Stations of the GWR and Associated Companies

Choose from 659 pictures in our Stations and Halts collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Evacuees waiting outside the departure platform at Paddington in 1939 Featured Stations and Halts Image

Evacuees waiting outside the departure platform at Paddington in 1939

One of the very first war time roles that the GWR was engaged in was the evacuation of children from cities to the relative safety of the countryside. Even before war was declared, plans were drawn up for evacuation so the GWR and the other major railway companies were prepared and on standby to put these plans into action. On August 31st 1939, the day before Germany invaded Poland, the order to begin the evacuation was given. The very next day the mass movement of children began and continued until September 4th. The GWR was responsible for the majority of the children moved from North and East London and while most of the evacuation trains departed from Ealing Broadway, this image shows groups of children being off-loaded from a double decker bus outside the Departure Platform at Paddington Station during the four days of evacuation in September 1939

© STEAM Museum of the GWR

Castle Class, No. 7029, Clun Castle at Newton Abbot Station, c.1950s Featured Stations and Halts Image

Castle Class, No. 7029, Clun Castle at Newton Abbot Station, c.1950s

A view of Castle Class, No. 7029, Clun Castle at Newton Abbot Station, Devon, c.1950s.
The station opened with the name Newton in December 1846 by the South Devon Railway Company. By the time the name was changed to Newton Abbot in 1877 the station had a large goods shed, train sheds and busy workshops which helped with converting the stock and line to standard gauge.
Newton Abbot station underwent an extension and rebuild between the wars, opening in April 1927 with a Culverhouse designed station building

© STEAM Museum of the GWR

St Erth Station, Cornwall, c.1960 Featured Stations and Halts Image

St Erth Station, Cornwall, c.1960

A view of St Erth Station, Cornwall in c.1960.
The station first opened in 1852 as St Ives Road and was renamed St Erth in the 1870s. The station remains busy serving the Cornish Main Line and the branch line to St Ives. St Erth had a number of Camping Coaches located at the station throughout the 1950s and early 1960s

© STEAM Museum of the GWR