Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Stations and Halts > London Stations

London Stations Gallery

Choose from 94 pictures in our London Stations collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Bomb Damage at Royal Oak near Paddington c.1940 Featured London Stations Image

Bomb Damage at Royal Oak near Paddington c.1940

Bomb damage to stations was inevitable after the sustained air attacks by the German Luftwaffe in late 1940 and early 1941. This photograph shows the damage to the station at Royal Oak, just outside of Paddington. The two carriages of a London to Swansea train show the effect of a blast, including fire damage and broken windows. The track, platform and station buildings also suffered from the blast with twisted rails and broken slabs evident in the centre of the image

US 2-8-0 tender locomotive No. 1604 at Paddington Station, 1942 Featured London Stations Image

US 2-8-0 tender locomotive No. 1604 at Paddington Station, 1942

On December 11th 1942, for the very first time, an American built locomotive steamed into Paddington Station. Acute shortages of locomotives on the GW network due to locomotives being sent overseas caused operational problems that threatened to affect the service the Company could offer to both the government and the general public. This was alleviated in part by borrowing locomotives from other British Railway Companies and also reinstating previously withdrawn engines back into service. In 1942 however, a number of American locomotives were shipped over to Britain to assist the domestic transport network. In a ceremony held at Paddington Station on the 11th December 1942, United States 2-8-0 tender locomotive No. 1604, pictured here adorned with the British and American flags, was formally handed over to Lord Leathers, Minister of War Transport, by Colonel N.A. Ryan, Chief of Transportation for the American Army, who stated that he hoped the locomotive "will do as good work for you as British Engines have done already for us"

© STEAM Museum of the GWR

Mobile emergency canteen at Paddington Station, during WWII Featured London Stations Image

Mobile emergency canteen at Paddington Station, during WWII

Paddington station in 1943 and a shot of the mobile emergency canteen, which was used to feed station staff, APR wardens, firemen and other staff who were active during the night when the station canteen was closed. The canteen was usually manned by a driver and a female attendant and was designed as a mobile unit so that it could move from place to place, where it was most needed when air strikes affected station or depot facilities. This mobile trailer canteen was designed in the Road Transport Department Drawing Office at Slough and built at Swindon Works, and was designed with adaptable couplings so that it could be attached to any of the Company's articulated tractors. The canteen was fully equipped with water supply, cooking facilities, tea urn and storage space for emergency stocks of dried food

© STEAM Museum of the GWR