Skip to main content

Bristol Collection

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol & Exeter Railway Broad Gauge Locomotive

Bristol & Exeter Railway Broad Gauge Locomotive
Built 1853-54

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads station alterations, 1934

Bristol Temple Meads station alterations, 1934
Views of the cellars beneath the broad gauge platforms during the alterations at Bristol Temple Meads station in 1934. The expansion of the station started in 1930 and lasted until 1935

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Station, c. 1936

Bristol Temple Meads Station, c. 1936
A view of Diesel Railcar No. 11, built by AEC, waiting at a platform at Bristol Temple Meads in c.1936. These new streamlined railcars were very much of their time

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol and Exeter Railway Station, Bristol, 1870

Bristol and Exeter Railway Station, Bristol, 1870
Based at Bristol Temple Meads, this was the Headquarters for the Bristol and Exeter Railway. The GWR Station can be seen to the right of the image

Background imageBristol Collection: D1017 Western Warrior - Western Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive

D1017 Western Warrior - Western Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive
Class 52 locomotive built by BREL Swindon. Seen here at Bristol (Bath Road) depot in 1973

Background imageBristol Collection: No 7029 Clun Castle at Bristol Temple Meads, 1966

No 7029 Clun Castle at Bristol Temple Meads, 1966
A view of 4-6-0 Castle class locomotive, Clun Castle, No 7029 at Bristol Temple Meads in 1966; seen here at a Farewell to Steam event. The platform is full of enthusiasts and onlookers

Background imageBristol Collection: No D801 Vanguard - Warship Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive

No D801 Vanguard - Warship Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive
Class 42, built by North British. Seen here near Ashley Hill, Bristol

Background imageBristol Collection: GWR Coat of Arms

GWR Coat of Arms
The Great Western Railway Coat of Arms, also known as the Garter Crest. A garter can be seen surrounding the original coat of arms which contained the city shields for London (left)

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Station, c. 1843

Bristol Temple Meads Station, c. 1843
Lithograph by John Cooke Bourne of Brunels train shed at Bristol Temple Meads Station in c.1843, a few years after the station opened in 1840

Background imageBristol Collection: St Annes Park Station

St Annes Park Station
A view of St Annes Park station in Bristol in the early 20th century. The station opened in 1898 and closed in 1970. Bristol No 2 tunnel can be seen in the distance

Background imageBristol Collection: Ashley Hill Station, c. 1900

Ashley Hill Station, c. 1900
A view of 0-6-0 saddle tank, No 1874, leaving Ashley Hill station for Bristol Temple Meads in c.1900. A number of onlookers are sitting on the embankment watching the station traffic

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Station in about 1900

Bristol Temple Meads Station in about 1900
A stunning view of the facade of Bristol Temple Meads station in about 1900. The 1870s station extension grandly towers over the people coming from the entrance and the horse and carts

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Station c. 1840s

Bristol Temple Meads Station c. 1840s
Reproduction of a lithograph showing Brunels original Bristol Temple Meads Station in about the 1840s. Carriages are passing the facade of the station and ladies are strolling nearby

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Station, c1900

Bristol Temple Meads Station, c1900
A snowy scene at Bristol Temple Meads Station in about 1900. The 1870s extension is at the top of the image and the original Brunel building is on the left

Background imageBristol Collection: Bomb damage to Foxs Wood Tunnel, Bristol, 1941

Bomb damage to Foxs Wood Tunnel, Bristol, 1941
A rather forlorn looking carriage can be seen here at the entrance to No.2 Tunnel at Foxs Wood near Bristol in 1941. A bomb had hit the tunnel mouth and ricocheted into the carriage

Background imageBristol Collection: Exterior view of Third Class Centenary stock carriage No. 4584

Exterior view of Third Class Centenary stock carriage No. 4584
Third Class Centenary stock passenger carriage, no. 4584. Built in July 1935. With a destination board for Paddington, Bristol and Taunton on the roof

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads, Queens Visit, 5th December 1958

Bristol Temple Meads, Queens Visit, 5th December 1958
This image shows H.M. Queen Elizabeth II on a visit to Bristol Temple Meads station on 5th December 1958. Her majesty is being greeted by the Lord Mayor and other dignitaries

Background imageBristol Collection: Royal Visit from H. M. The Queen to Bristol Temple Meads, 17th April 1956

Royal Visit from H. M. The Queen to Bristol Temple Meads, 17th April 1956
This image shows H.M. Queen Elizabeth II on a visit to Bristol Temple Meads station on 17th April 1956. Her majesty is being greeted by the Lord Mayor

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol city, August 1931

Bristol city, August 1931
A GWR Publicity waterside view of Bristol city, August 1931. A church spire towers above dock buildings and warehouses. A number of buildings display advertising for places

Background imageBristol Collection: Merchant Venturers Hall, Bristol, c. 1920s

Merchant Venturers Hall, Bristol, c. 1920s
A view from Prince Street looking towards Merchant Venturers Hall and The Merchant Arms, both on the corner of King Street

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Sketch by Ken Howard

Bristol Temple Meads Sketch by Ken Howard
This sketch of Bristol Temple Meads station was created by British artist Ken Howard (1932-2022). The image was used by British Rail on a Christmas card in the 1980s

Background imageBristol Collection: Royal Visit to Bristol Temple Meads, 5th December 1958

Royal Visit to Bristol Temple Meads, 5th December 1958
This image shows H.M. Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip on a visit to Bristol Temple Meads station on 5th December 1958

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Decorated for Queens Visit, 17th April 1956

Bristol Temple Meads Decorated for Queens Visit, 17th April 1956
This photograph shows how Bristol Temple Meads station was decorated for Queen Elizabeth IIs visit on 17th April 1956

Background imageBristol Collection: Decorations at Bristol Temple Meads for Queens Visit, 1956

Decorations at Bristol Temple Meads for Queens Visit, 1956
This photograph shows the façade of Bristol Temple Meads station decorated for Queen Elizabeth IIs visit in 1956

Background imageBristol Collection: Clifton Downs, Bristol, May 1924

Clifton Downs, Bristol, May 1924
A lady with a pram strolls down a tree-lined path on Clifton Downs

Background imageBristol Collection: Bristol Temple Meads Station c1840s

Bristol Temple Meads Station c1840s
A lithograph of Brunels Bristol Temple Meads Station c.1840s. A range of carts, horse carriages and people are passing the grand facade of the original Temple Meads station building

Background imageBristol Collection: Shunter in the wartime blackout, c. 1940

Shunter in the wartime blackout, c. 1940
Blackouts were challenging times for some GWR employees, as this image of a shunter taken at Bristol shows. Limited lighting during an air raid posed a serious health and safety risk

Background imageBristol Collection: No 4082, Windsor Castle, hauling the funeral train of King George VI, February 1952

No 4082, Windsor Castle, hauling the funeral train of King George VI, February 1952
A view of locomotive No 4082, Windsor Castle, hauling the funeral train of King George VI, at Paddington staiton, in February 1952

Background imageBristol Collection: Brislington Station Garden, 1906

Brislington Station Garden, 1906
Brislington won the best station garden competion for the Bristol District in 1906. The man by the flower bed is probably the Station Master

Background imageBristol Collection: Bedminster Station, c. 1930

Bedminster Station, c. 1930
A view of Bedminster Station in Bristol, c.1930. A steam locomotive is at the station platform. Bedminster station was moved in 1932

Background imageBristol Collection: Avonmouth Docks Railway Station, c. 1950s

Avonmouth Docks Railway Station, c. 1950s
A view of Avonmouth Docks Railway Station near Bristol, c.1950s. The station opened in 1910 as the terminus of the Henbury Loop Line but officially closed in 1919 due to the need to make wartime


All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping