Skip to main content

Trending

See What's Trending

Background imageTrending: AV Boiler Shop, c1920s

AV Boiler Shop, c1920s
Boiler suspended vertically from crane

Background imageTrending: Mechanics Institute Theatre, c1931

Mechanics Institute Theatre, c1931
View of the theatre and main stage. This shot was taken after the theatre was destroyed by a fire in 1930. The arch around the stage was rebuilt in an art deco style

Background imageTrending: Guernsey & Jersey via Weymouth poster, about 1891

Guernsey & Jersey via Weymouth poster, about 1891
In 1889 the GWR began operating a steamship service to the Channel Islands. This poster shows the GWRs TSS Ibex, leaving harbour at Guernsey on its route across the Channel

Background imageTrending: Penryn Viaduct, early 1920s

Penryn Viaduct, early 1920s
A timber viaduct on the Falmouth branch line. The embankment in the background replaced the viaduct in 1923

Background imageTrending: British Railways network map 1950s

British Railways network map 1950s
A map showing the rail lines across the British Railway network during the 1950s

Background imageTrending: GWR Network Map, c1920s

GWR Network Map, c1920s

Background imageTrending: 7 King Class Locomotives at Swindon Shed, 1930

7 King Class Locomotives at Swindon Shed, 1930
From l-r: No 6005 King George II, No 6008 King James II, No 6017 King Edward IV, No 6020 King Henry IV, No 6022 King Edward III, No 6023 King Edward II, No 6024 King Edward I

Background imageTrending: Design drawing for the King Class locomotive, 1927

Design drawing for the King Class locomotive, 1927

Background imageTrending: Swindon Works Broad Gauge Wagon Dump, 1892

Swindon Works Broad Gauge Wagon Dump, 1892
Dozens of wagons can be seen here lined up at Swindon Works waiting to be scrapped. The GWRs broad gauge came to a final end in May 1892

Background imageTrending: Swindon Town Station, c. 1960

Swindon Town Station, c. 1960
This station was originally on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway and was situated in Swindons Old Town. Seen here with a BR Southern Region locomotive

Background imageTrending: Gas Turbine No. 18000

Gas Turbine No. 18000
Built by Swiss firm Brown Boveri in 1949

Background imageTrending: No. 1331

No. 1331
0-6-0 Saddle Tank. Built in 1877 by Fox, Walker and Co, originally for the Whitland and Cargigan Railway. The GWR took the railway over in 1886. Was also given the number 1387

Background imageTrending: No 9, Victoria, c. 1900

No 9, Victoria, c. 1900
2-2-2 tender engine. Completely rebuilt in 1884 from a 4-2-4 experimental tank engine. In 1890 or 1893 No.9 was named Victoria

Background imageTrending: Wharncliffe Viaduct, c1920s

Wharncliffe Viaduct, c1920s
A Castle Class locomotive speeds over the viaduct. It was built in 1837 and designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Background imageTrending: Royal Albert Bridge

Royal Albert Bridge
The construction of the Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash in 1859

Background imageTrending: George Jackson Churchward (1857 - 1933)

George Jackson Churchward (1857 - 1933)
George Jackson Churchward, pictured here in 1918, was the GWRs Chief Mechanical Engineer between 1902 and 1921. He oversaw the Swindon Works modernisation and introduced the 4-6-0 locomotives

Background imageTrending: No 2902 Lady of the Lake

No 2902 Lady of the Lake
4-6-0 Saint Class locomotive built 1906

Background imageTrending: Swindon Works, 1908

Swindon Works, 1908
View of Swindon Works looking towards the turntable and Erecting Shop

Background imageTrending: Newspaper Train on Platform 4 at Paddington Station, 1937

Newspaper Train on Platform 4 at Paddington Station, 1937
An image showing Paddington station staff on Platform 4 receiving the daily newspapers from the 12.50am Newspaper Train, 1937

Background imageTrending: No 5051 Drysllwyn Castle outside Swindon Works

No 5051 Drysllwyn Castle outside Swindon Works
4-6-0 Castle class locomotive. Built 1936

Background imageTrending: Kilve, Somerset, c. 1920s

Kilve, Somerset, c. 1920s
A GWR Publicity view of the Quantock Hills at Kilve in Somerset, c.1920s. A field of cows are surrounded by an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

Background imageTrending: No 3401 Vancouver

No 3401 Vancouver
4-4-0 Bulldog class locomotive. Also numbered 3463

Background imageTrending: No. 1331

No. 1331
0-6-0 Saddle Tank. Built in 1877 by Fox, Walker and Co, originally for the Whitland and Cargigan Railway. The GWR took the railway over in 1886. Was also given the number 1387

Background imageTrending: No. 9, Victoria, c. late 1880s

No. 9, Victoria, c. late 1880s
2-2-2 tender engine. Completely rebuilt in 1884 from a 4-2-4 experimental tank engine. In 1890 or 1893 No.9 was named Victoria

Background imageTrending: Loading Churchill Tanks at Marlborough High Level Station, 1942

Loading Churchill Tanks at Marlborough High Level Station, 1942
Taken from the January 1943 edition of the GWR Magazine

Background imageTrending: Platform 8 at Paddington Station, 1905

Platform 8 at Paddington Station, 1905
Arrival of an Ocean Mail Special from Plymouth. Staff unload mail from carriages to horse drawn Royal Mail vans ready for delivery

Background imageTrending: Saint Class, No. 2901, Lady Superior

Saint Class, No. 2901, Lady Superior
Built May 1906

Background imageTrending: No. 1331

No. 1331
0-6-0 Saddle Tank. Built in 1877 by Fox, Walker and Co, originally for the Whitland and Cargigan Railway. The GWR took the railway over in 1886. Was also given the number 1387

Background imageTrending: Chalford Station, Gloucestershire, 1964

Chalford Station, Gloucestershire, 1964
A view from Chalford Station in Gloucestershire, looking east. Taken in April 1964, the image shows a railmotor and the signal box which remained in use until 1965

Background imageTrending: Ilfracombe Engine Shed, c1950s

Ilfracombe Engine Shed, c1950s
A view of Ilfracombe Engine shed with Southern Railway locomotives No. 1836 and No.375 parked up

Background imageTrending: Entrance to Mersey Railway, Water Street, Liverpool

Entrance to Mersey Railway, Water Street, Liverpool
This images, taken in the 1950s, shows the entrance to James Street Station on the Mersey Railway. This particular entrance was off of Water Street

Background imageTrending: The Queens Visit to Abingdon, 2nd November 1956

The Queens Visit to Abingdon, 2nd November 1956
This photograph shows H.M. The Queen on her visit to Abingdon in Oxfordshire on 2nd November 1956. The mayor is leading her majesty out of the station where several military personnel are lined up

Background imageTrending: GWR Coat of Arms

GWR Coat of Arms
The Great Western Railway Coat of Arms, also known as the Garter Crest. A garter can be seen surrounding the original coat of arms which contained the city shields for London (left)

Background imageTrending: The Seafront at Sidmouth, Devon, August 1931

The Seafront at Sidmouth, Devon, August 1931
A GWR publicity view of the seafront at Sidmouth in South Devon, taken in August 1931. This image shows the many groynes going out to sea and holidaymakers on the shingle beach enjoying themselves

Background imageTrending: Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee train, 1897

Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee train, 1897
A view of Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee train hauled by the locomotive, The Queen. The engine carried two large crests and a crown at the front

Background imageTrending: The River Wye at Kerne Bridge, Herefordshire

The River Wye at Kerne Bridge, Herefordshire
A GWR Publicity view of Kerne Bridge and the River Wye in Herefordshire, c.1930. The bridge was built in 1828 and is now Grade II listed

Background imageTrending: Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
A GWR Publicity view of the side of the Royal Pump Room & Gardens at Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, in the 1930s. The entrance to the Jephson Gardens can be seen behind the people sitting on the park

Background imageTrending: LMS coach no. 6204 converted to an ambulance train car, 1939

LMS coach no. 6204 converted to an ambulance train car, 1939
This official photograph of an ambulance train car was taken on behalf of the Swindon Works Drawing Office in October 1939

Background imageTrending: GWR station staff member in a gas mask, c. 1939

GWR station staff member in a gas mask, c. 1939
During an air raid the threat of poison gas bombs being dropped by the German Luftwaffe was extremely high. Mustard gas was the most deadly gas available and could take up to 12 hours to take effect

Background imageTrending: U. S. 0-6-0T shunting tank engine No. 1940 in its black War Department livery, 1942

U. S. 0-6-0T shunting tank engine No. 1940 in its black War Department livery, 1942
This is an unusual inclusion in the photographic collection at STEAM, being an image of a U.S. 0-6-0T shunting tank engine which never actually worked the Great Western network

Background imageTrending: USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 coupled to an ambulance train, 1942

USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 coupled to an ambulance train, 1942
Once the USA joined the war following the bombing of Pearl Harbour in December 1941 the GWR became involved in the provision of rolling stock for use by the American Army

Background imageTrending: 16 inch naval gun loaded on a set of four POLLEN E wagons, 1944

16 inch naval gun loaded on a set of four POLLEN E wagons, 1944
This image shows a 16 inch naval gun being carried on a set of four POLLEN E wagons in March 1944. Built in the early 1900s

Background imageTrending: Great Western Tender, No. W84, formerly No. 2641, 1941

Great Western Tender, No. W84, formerly No. 2641, 1941
Great Western Tender, No. W84 is featured in this official image taken in April 1941. Formerly No. 2641, this 4000 gallon engine tender was requisitioned by the Government for use with a fire

Background imageTrending: Dean Goods locomotive No. 2533 in War Department black livery

Dean Goods locomotive No. 2533 in War Department black livery
This official photograph of a Dean Goods locomotive No. 2533 was taken at Swindon Works in October 1939 prior to its shipment overseas

Background imageTrending: Mogul locomotive No. 8314 with bomb damage in 1941

Mogul locomotive No. 8314 with bomb damage in 1941
A 4300 Mogul locomotive, No. 8314, lies amongst the debris following an air raid in Weymouth on 17th January 1941. Star Class locomotive, Princess Charlotte

Background imageTrending: Bomb damage to Bowden Hall locomotive at Keyham Station, 1941

Bomb damage to Bowden Hall locomotive at Keyham Station, 1941
This image was taken on 30th April 1941, the morning after an air raid at Keyham Station, Plymouth. It shows extensive damage to Hall Class locomotive, Bowden Hall

Background imageTrending: Bomb damage to locomotives at Newton Abbot Station, 1940

Bomb damage to locomotives at Newton Abbot Station, 1940
On 20th August 1940 Newton Abbot Station was attacked by three German planes. This image shows the devastation that was caused by both bomb damage and extensive machine gun fire

Background imageTrending: Air Raid notice, issued to passengers in 1940

Air Raid notice, issued to passengers in 1940
This notice was issued to passengers in August 1940 by the GWRs General Manager, James Milne. The safety of staff and passengers was of the utmost importance



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping