Women workers in the Permanent Way Dept at Reading, 1943
Three ladies from the Permanent Way Department are pictured here at Reading in April 1943 off-loading wooden blocks from a wagon. This photograph is an official Company image, with GWR Chief Engineers Office, Aldermaston. Photographic Department' stamped on the reverse. The photo may have been taken to show the work of women during the war, but equally it might have been taken to show joint working between the GWR and LMS whose wagon features in the image. Inter-railway working between the railway companies was actively encouraged by the Government during the war as a means of maintaining an efficient and economic rail service, so staff and rolling stock worked across the different networks in a way that had not been seen previously.
Clydach Merthyr Colliery, 1911
This image shows coal loaded into wagons belonging to the Graigola Merthyr Company. Graigola was high quality coal used by both rail and steamship companies. The railway lines into the colliery were originally ran by the Taff vale Railway until they were taken over by the GWR in 1922.
© STEAM Museum of the GWR
Clydach, Coal, Colliery, Graigola Merthyr, Private Owner Wagon, Swansea, Taff Vale, Wagon