Skip to main content

Wiltshire Collection

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Works Map, c. 1940s

Swindon Works Map, c. 1940s
Swindon Works Map, c.1940s, showing the growth of the GWR Works in Swindon between 1846 and the 1940s. The sheer volume of workshops and sidings can be seen in fascinating detail

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Box Station, 1885

Box Station, 1885
A view of Box station in 1885, showing a standard gauge locomotive stood on mixed gauge track. The West portal of Middle Hill Tunnel can be seen in the distance

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Town Station, c. 1960

Swindon Town Station, c. 1960
This station was originally on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway and was situated in Swindons Old Town. Seen here with a BR Southern Region locomotive

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Calne Station, 1948

Calne Station, 1948
This photograph was taken in 1948 and shows 0-4-2 tank locomotive No. 1453 arriving from Chippenham at Calne Station in Wiltshire

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Stratton Park Halt, Wiltshire

Stratton Park Halt, Wiltshire
A birds eye view of Stratton Park Halt situated between Shrivenham and Swindon. The photograph was taken from the road bridge that crossed over the lines

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Wishford Station, c. 1920s

Wishford Station, c. 1920s
A view of Wishford Station near Salisbury in Wiltshire, c.1920s, showing the second platform that was built in 1901 when the line doubled

Background imageWiltshire Collection: New Swindon, 1847

New Swindon, 1847
Lithograph of New Swindon in 1847 with broad gauge locomotive, Fire Brand, in foreground. Swindon Works can be seen to the right on the image, with the Railway Village to the left

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Station, 1930

Swindon Station, 1930
Two GWR publicity omnibuses sit outside Swindon Junction station in 1930, promoting the companys tourist route

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Trowbridge Station, 1960

Trowbridge Station, 1960
This photograph shows Hall Class No. 5950, Wardley Hall, approaching Trowbridge station in Wiltshire on a bright day in 1960

Background imageWiltshire Collection: First Class Refreshment Rooms, Swindon Station, c. 1840s

First Class Refreshment Rooms, Swindon Station, c. 1840s
This illustration shows a number of ladies and gentlemen in the First Class Refreshment Rooms at Swindon Junction Station, c.1840s

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Melksham Station, c. 1950s

Melksham Station, c. 1950s
A general view of Melksham Station in Wiltshire, c.1950s, showing the station buildings, platforms and covered footbridge. Melksham station opened in 1848, closed in 1966, but reopened in 1985

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Holt Station, 1905

Holt Station, 1905
A view of Holt station in Wiltshire, showing the Beavens Tannery outing waiting for the train to Portsmouth on 4th July 1905

Background imageWiltshire Collection: View of Swindon Station, c. 1880s

View of Swindon Station, c. 1880s
This image of Swindon Junction station was taken before the change of gauge in 1892. Mixed gauge can be seen on the centre/left tracks

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Station Staircase to Platforms, 1970

Swindon Station Staircase to Platforms, 1970
This photograph shows the staircase at Swindon station leading to Platforms 1, 2 & 3, taken on 28th January 1970

Background imageWiltshire Collection: View of Swindon Station, 1895

View of Swindon Station, 1895
This image was taken to mark the occasion of the abolition of the ten minute stop at Swindon. It was the first non-stop express through the station

Background imageWiltshire Collection: View of Swindon Station, c. 1890s

View of Swindon Station, c. 1890s
This photograph shows Swindon Junction Station in Wiltshire, looking towards Bristol, c.1890s. The station became known as simply Swindon Station after Swindon Town station closed in the 1960s

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Pans Lane Halt, c. 1960s

Pans Lane Halt, c. 1960s
This photograph was taken in the 1960s and shows the view looking east at Pans Lane Halt which was on the Devizes branch line. The halt opened in 1929 and served the south of Devizes in Wiltshire

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Town Station, c. 1920

Swindon Town Station, c. 1920
Swindon Town station was originally on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway and was situated in Swindons Old Town. This image shows the Wiltshire station in around 1920

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Devizes Station, c. 1900

Devizes Station, c. 1900
This image shows Devizes station in Wiltshire, c.1900. The footbridge, signal box and station buildings can all be seen. The station opened in July 1857 and closed in 1966

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Highworth Station, c. 1910

Highworth Station, c. 1910
A photograph of passengers gathered on the platform at Highworth Station in Wiltshire, c.1910. The station opened in 1883 and closed to passengers in 1953

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Westbury Station and Signal Box, c. 1910

Westbury Station and Signal Box, c. 1910
A photograph of Westbury Station in Wiltshire, c.1910, showing the signal box and tracks. The station opened in 1848

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Highworth Station, 1960

Highworth Station, 1960
A view of Highworth Station in Wiltshire taken in 1960 when it was only open to railway employees going to work in Swindon Works

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Junction Station, April 1946

Swindon Junction Station, April 1946
This photograph, taken in April 1946 shows Saint Class No. 2927, Saint Patrick, standing in Swindon Junction station. A number of goods wagons are on the left side of the image

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Wootton Bassett Station, 1893

Wootton Bassett Station, 1893
A view of Wootton Bassett Station in Wiltshire, taken in 1893, showing the station building and a number of staff on the platform with a dray horse

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Brinkworth Station, c1930s

Brinkworth Station, c1930s
A view of Brinkworth station in Wiltshire looking east, c.1930s. The nameboard and covered footbridge are visible in the image

Background imageWiltshire Collection: View of Trowbridge Station, Goods Yard and Surrounds, c. 1900

View of Trowbridge Station, Goods Yard and Surrounds, c. 1900
A general view of Trowbridge Station in Wiltshire, c.1900, showing the goods yard, water tower and gas storage silo. Trowbridge station opened in 1848 as part of the Wilts

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Trowbridge Station, 1960

Trowbridge Station, 1960
This photograph shows Hall class no. 4909, Blakesley Hall, approaching Trowbridge station in Wiltshire on a day in 1960. The station nameboard can be seen on the right of the picture

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Wootton Bassett Junction Station, c. 1960

Wootton Bassett Junction Station, c. 1960
6100 Class tank locomotive No. 6129 waits in steam at Wootton Bassett Junction Station in the early 1960 s. Sited on the original London to Bristol main line

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Dauntsey Station, 1961

Dauntsey Station, 1961
A serene view of Dauntsey Station taken in August 1961. The photograph captures the main station building on the Up platform and the waiting room opposite

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Calne Station, c. 1950s

Calne Station, c. 1950s
The end of the Chippenham to Calne branch line is shown in this image of Calne Station. The buffer stops are sandwiched between the main passenger platform alongside the booking office

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Station, c. 1920

Swindon Station, c. 1920
A view of Swindon Junction Station in Wiltshire, c.1920, showing a mixture of activity on the platforms. Swindon Junction opened in 1842

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Swindon Station Entrance, 28th January 1970

Swindon Station Entrance, 28th January 1970
An external view of Swindon Station entrance taken 28th January 1970. The original station building was demolished in 1972 and replaced with a more modern building and office block

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Purton Station on the Gloucester Line

Purton Station on the Gloucester Line
A view of Purton Station on the Gloucester Line when it was still Broad Gauge. A broad gauge locomotive is approaching the station. The station opened in 1841 and closed in 1964

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Old Mill House, Salisbury, June 1947

Old Mill House, Salisbury, June 1947
A young girl stands outside the Old Mill House restaurant in Harnham on the outskirts of Salisbury. This 15th Century building stands on the banks on the River Nadder

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Staircase and Main Entrance, 28th January 1970

Staircase and Main Entrance, 28th January 1970
This photograph shows the staircase leading to the underpass at Swindon Station and the stations main entrance on 28th January 1970

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Black Dog Halt, near Calne, c. 1960

Black Dog Halt, near Calne, c. 1960
This halt was on the Chippenham to Calne branch line. It was used by Lord Lansdowne of Bowood House as his personal station. The halt closed in 1965

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Colour tinted photo of Box Tunnel, c. 1920s

Colour tinted photo of Box Tunnel, c. 1920s
Colour tinted photo of Box Tunnel, c.1920s

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Devizes, Kennet and Avon Canal, Caen Hill Locks

Devizes, Kennet and Avon Canal, Caen Hill Locks
A GWR Publicity view of the famous Caen Hill Locks on the Kennet and Avon Canal, at Devizes, Wiltshire

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Stonehenge, Wiltshire, c. 1920s

Stonehenge, Wiltshire, c. 1920s
A GWR Publicity view of Stonehenge in Wiltshire, c.1920s. The massive sarsen monoliths of this famous ancient monument lie fallen on Salisbury Plain

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Anti-aircraft platform at Swindon Station c. 1940

Anti-aircraft platform at Swindon Station c. 1940
An anti-aircraft platform can be seen in this image of Swindon Station, but what is most intriguing is the very small Swindon Junction sign hanging in the centre of the platform canopy

Background imageWiltshire Collection: River Avon, Chippenham, c. 1930

River Avon, Chippenham, c. 1930
A view looking north west up the River Avon in the market town of Chippenham. The row of cottages to the left of the photograph are in what is called Common Slip

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Bradford-on-Avon, June 1925

Bradford-on-Avon, June 1925
A lone car crosses the iconic Town Bridge in the historic town of Bradford-on-Avon. The small building situated on the right of the bridge is an old prison lock-up

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Cricklade Street, Swindon, c. 1900

Cricklade Street, Swindon, c. 1900
A view looking north at the top of Cricklade Street. The buildings on the left still exist, but he buildings on the right including The Lord Raglan and the King Arms pubs, have since been demolished

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Purton Station, Wiltshire, 1952

Purton Station, Wiltshire, 1952
A view of Purton Station in Wiltshire, looking towards Swindon, taken on the 15th March 1952. The image shows the Victorian station building. The station opened in 1841 and closed in 1964

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Purton Station, Wiltshire, 1961

Purton Station, Wiltshire, 1961
A through view of Purton station in Wiltshire taken on 25th May 1961. The image shows a station building with a 20th century design and the goods shed. The station opened in 1841 and closed in 1964

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Purton Station, looking towards Swindon

Purton Station, looking towards Swindon
This photograph shows Purton Station in Wiltshire, looking towards Swindon. The road bridge, station buildings and nameboard are all visible. The station opened in 1841 and closed in 1964

Background imageWiltshire Collection: Purton Station, Wiltshire

Purton Station, Wiltshire
A view of Purton Station in North Wiltshire, showing station buildings and goods shed. The station opened in 1841 and closed in 1964

Background imageWiltshire Collection: High Street Gate, Salisbury, Wiltshire, May 1947

High Street Gate, Salisbury, Wiltshire, May 1947
A GWR Publicity view of High Street Gate, Salisbury, Wiltshire in May 1947. The gate is the main entrance to Salisburys historic Cathedral Close and was built between 1327 and 1342



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping