Skip to main content

Workshop Collection

Background imageWorkshop Collection: View of Swindon Works, c1860

View of Swindon Works, c1860
This early photograph of the Works was taken from St Marks Church and shows R Shop (Machine Shop). Hundreds of wheels can be seen stored outside ready to be fitted to vehicles

Background imageWorkshop Collection: K Shop - Coppersmiths, 1938

K Shop - Coppersmiths, 1938
Making domes and saftey valve covers

Background imageWorkshop Collection: F Shop, Steam Hammer Shop, c1930s

F Shop, Steam Hammer Shop, c1930s

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 5 Shop, Train Lighting Shop, 1950

No 5 Shop, Train Lighting Shop, 1950
These men are working on the components used in the assembly of carriage lights. In the centre of the image, on the floor, is a domed light fitting either awaiting repair or construction

Background imageWorkshop Collection: B Shed in about 1900

B Shed in about 1900
A small group of men stand in a building known as B Shed. It was used for the maintenance of tank locomotives and tenders. B Shed stood next to what is now STEAM Museum of the GWR

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 21 Shop, Wagon Repair Shop, c. 1950s

No 21 Shop, Wagon Repair Shop, c. 1950s
Here a wagon frame is being removed from its wheels in preparation for some repairs. Temporary trolley wheels were added to move the frame into the workshop

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 7 Carriage Finishing Shop, 1907

No 7 Carriage Finishing Shop, 1907
This photo looks to have been taken at the end of a working day. Tools have been left and sawdust can be seen on the floor after a day preparing doors

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 17 Shop, Road Vehicle Shop, 1907

No 17 Shop, Road Vehicle Shop, 1907
This image show both horse drawn vehicles and motor vehicles being built or repaired. The motor vehicles were omnibuses and were part of the GWR road passenger service that started in 1903

Background imageWorkshop Collection: Old Saw Mills, Newburn Crescent, c1870

Old Saw Mills, Newburn Crescent, c1870
Before No 1 Sawmills opened in the far west of the Works wood was cut at a mill on Newburn Crescent. The men in this image have been busy cutting length of timber

Background imageWorkshop Collection: Female rivet hotter, A Shop, c. 1940

Female rivet hotter, A Shop, c. 1940
During the Second World War Swindon Works employed women in both the workshops and offices. Here a female employee is helping her male colleague with riveting

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 15 Shop, Fitting and Machine Shop, 1931

No 15 Shop, Fitting and Machine Shop, 1931
An overall view of No.15 shop showing a bogie assembly line. A man to the right is operating a belt driven machine, whilst other men are busy assembling pieces for the bogie frames

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 12 shop, Carpenters Shop, 1934

No 12 shop, Carpenters Shop, 1934
An exterior view of the Carpenters Shop. This workshop was situated adjacent to Station Road, next to one of the Works underpasses

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 24 Shop, Paint Stores, 1938

No 24 Shop, Paint Stores, 1938
The paint stores, also known as the paint mill, was where paint was mixed. This man is drawing off and straining paint from one of the heavy duty mixing machines

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 21 (B) Shop, Wagon Paint Shop, 1953

No 21 (B) Shop, Wagon Paint Shop, 1953
Rows of wagons line up ready to be painted in this view from 1953. It looked like a conveyor belt system is in place to give each wagon its treatment

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No. 9 Carriage Trimming Shop, October 1937

No. 9 Carriage Trimming Shop, October 1937
A rather busy scene here. Hundreds of men are working on carriage seat upholstery and padding cushions with horse hair. Racks of carriage seats

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 21 Shop, Wagon Repair and Building Shop, 1930

No 21 Shop, Wagon Repair and Building Shop, 1930
This image shows the construction of a 120T Crocodile wagon. These were long wagons that would have taken up a lot of workshop space

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 17 Shop, Road Vehicle Shop, c1920s

No 17 Shop, Road Vehicle Shop, c1920s
This view of the Road Vehicle shops shows the construction and repair of mainly horse drawn vehicles. The GWR relied heavily on horse power, especially in good yards and for parcel deliveries

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 9 Shop, Sewing Room, 1930

No 9 Shop, Sewing Room, 1930
This busy scene from 1930 shows about 30 women in the female sewing room. On the left a row of women work on sewing machines

Background imageWorkshop Collection: AM Machine Shop, 1946

AM Machine Shop, 1946

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 21 Shop, Wagon Repair and Building Shop, c1930

No 21 Shop, Wagon Repair and Building Shop, c1930
Here a line of wagons can be seen ready to undergo repairs. Each bay consisted of a different task, such as lifting or painting. As one task was completed the wagons would move on

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 16 |Shop, Wheel Shop, 1907

No 16 |Shop, Wheel Shop, 1907
This image shows a large number of belt driven lathes used in the making and shaping of carriages and wagons. Some of the wheels shown here look quite small and probably were for GWR road vehicles

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 16 Shop, Wheel Shop, c. 1950s

No 16 Shop, Wheel Shop, c. 1950s
This view shows a row of large wheels lathes that were used to shape and make wheels for carriages and wagons. The finished wheels can be seen on the tracks to the right of the image

Background imageWorkshop Collection: No 13 Shop, Wagon Frame Shop, 1907

No 13 Shop, Wagon Frame Shop, 1907
Men have downed tools and left for the day in this image from 1907. It shows several wagon frames lined up during the construction process


All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping