Skip to main content

1960s Collection

Background image1960s Collection: Class 52 Western Diesel Locomotive at Paddington Station

Class 52 Western Diesel Locomotive at Paddington Station
A view of a Class 52 Western Diesel Locomotive at Paddington Station, c.1960s, showing passengers on platform. The Westerns were built in the early 1960s at Swindon and Crewe

Background image1960s Collection: Blue Anchor Station, Somerset, c. 1960

Blue Anchor Station, Somerset, c. 1960
Road traffic vehicles, including a Western national bus, are taking a priority in this image from about 1960. The level crossing by Blue Anchor station allowed traffic to the beach just out of shot

Background image1960s Collection: Grimstone and Frampton Station, Dorset, c. 1963

Grimstone and Frampton Station, Dorset, c. 1963
A sweeping view of the signal box, platform buildings and footbridge at Grimstone and Frampton Station. This photograph was taken from the embankment alongside the down line

Background image1960s Collection: Cheltenham Racecourse Station, Gloucestershire, c. 1960

Cheltenham Racecourse Station, Gloucestershire, c. 1960
A view of Cheltenham Racecourse station in Gloucestershire, c.1960. The station opened in 1912 to serve the racecourse and its famous Gold Cup on race days only

Background image1960s Collection: St Ives Station, Cornwall, April 1960

St Ives Station, Cornwall, April 1960
A view of St Ives station, Cornwall in April 1960. A small prairie locomotive, No. 4566 can be seen traversing its carriages at the station

Background image1960s Collection: Kemble Station looking towards Stroud, c. 1960s

Kemble Station looking towards Stroud, c. 1960s
A view of Kemble station in Gloucestershire, looking towards Stroud, c.1960s. Kemble station originally opened as an exchange station in May 1845, becoming a public station in the 1870s-1880s

Background image1960s Collection: Trowbridge Station, 1960

Trowbridge Station, 1960
This photograph shows Hall Class No. 5950, Wardley Hall, approaching Trowbridge station in Wiltshire on a bright day in 1960

Background image1960s Collection: Pans Lane Halt, c. 1960s

Pans Lane Halt, c. 1960s
This photograph was taken in the 1960s and shows the view looking east at Pans Lane Halt which was on the Devizes branch line. The halt opened in 1929 and served the south of Devizes in Wiltshire

Background image1960s Collection: No 4573 Prairie Tank Locomotive at Chipping Norton Station, 1960

No 4573 Prairie Tank Locomotive at Chipping Norton Station, 1960
A view of Chipping Norton station in Oxfordshire, taken in 1960, showing the station buildings and the 2-6-2 45XX class locomotive, built 1924. The station opened in 1855 and closed in December 1962

Background image1960s Collection: No 7029 Clun Castle at Bristol Temple Meads, 1966

No 7029 Clun Castle at Bristol Temple Meads, 1966
A view of 4-6-0 Castle class locomotive, Clun Castle, No 7029 at Bristol Temple Meads in 1966; seen here at a Farewell to Steam event. The platform is full of enthusiasts and onlookers

Background image1960s Collection: Montacute Station, Somerset, 1962

Montacute Station, Somerset, 1962
Unfortunately there is no caption on the back of this photograph taken of Montacute Station in 1962. We can only assume that some kind of maintenance is taking place on the line towards Yeovil

Background image1960s Collection: Chalford Station, Gloucestershire, 1964

Chalford Station, Gloucestershire, 1964
A view from Chalford Station in Gloucestershire, looking east. Taken in April 1964, the image shows a railmotor and the signal box which remained in use until 1965

Background image1960s Collection: Brimscombe Station, Gloucestershire, 1962

Brimscombe Station, Gloucestershire, 1962
A view of Brimscombe Station in June 1962. The image was taken looking to the Gloucester direction and shows the main station building in the Brunel chalet style

Background image1960s Collection: Highworth Station, 1960

Highworth Station, 1960
A view of Highworth Station in Wiltshire taken in 1960 when it was only open to railway employees going to work in Swindon Works

Background image1960s Collection: St Erth Station, Cornwall, c. 1960

St Erth Station, Cornwall, c. 1960
A view of St Erth Station, Cornwall in c.1960. The station first opened in 1852 as St Ives Road and was renamed St Erth in the 1870s

Background image1960s Collection: Corwen Station, 1963

Corwen Station, 1963
Corwen Station pictured on 15th July 1963 as locomotive No. 75027 steams into the down platform from Ruabon. The main station buildings unusual double canopy is clear to see in this image

Background image1960s Collection: Track Renewal at Paddington Station, 1967

Track Renewal at Paddington Station, 1967
A view of a gang working on a track renewal scheme at London Paddington station, taken on 15th October 1967 at Platform Road No.3

Background image1960s Collection: Evesham Station, Worcestershire, c. 1959

Evesham Station, Worcestershire, c. 1959
A view of Evesham Station in Worcestershire, taken in the late 1950s, showing the signal box and a group of men working on the line. Cars are parked along the front of the station building

Background image1960s Collection: Evesham Station, Worcestershire, c. 1960

Evesham Station, Worcestershire, c. 1960
A view of Evesham station in Worcestershire in about 1960. 0-6-0PT locomotive can be seen just passing the water tower on the left and the passenger footbridge and goods shed can be seen on the right

Background image1960s Collection: Evesham Station, Worcestershire, May 1962

Evesham Station, Worcestershire, May 1962
A view of Evesham Station in Worcestershire, taken in May 1962, showing the signal box, water tower and platforms

Background image1960s Collection: St Agnes Station, Cornwall, c. 1960

St Agnes Station, Cornwall, c. 1960
A view of St Agnes station, Cornwall, c.1960, showing the signal box and shed. St Agnes station opened July 1903 on the Truro and Newquay Railway, and closed in 1963

Background image1960s Collection: Wootton Bassett Junction Station, c. 1960

Wootton Bassett Junction Station, c. 1960
6100 Class tank locomotive No. 6129 waits in steam at Wootton Bassett Junction Station in the early 1960 s. Sited on the original London to Bristol main line

Background image1960s Collection: Dauntsey Station, 1961

Dauntsey Station, 1961
A serene view of Dauntsey Station taken in August 1961. The photograph captures the main station building on the Up platform and the waiting room opposite

Background image1960s Collection: Frome Station, Somerset, 19th April 1960

Frome Station, Somerset, 19th April 1960
A view of Frome station in Somerset, taken on 19th April 1960, showing the overall roof designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunels assistant J R Hannaford

Background image1960s Collection: Horrabridge Station, Devon, c. 1960s

Horrabridge Station, Devon, c. 1960s
A view of Horrabridge Station in Devon, c.1960s, taken at platform level. Horrabridge station opened on the South Devon and Tavistock Railway in 1859 and closed to passengers in 1962

Background image1960s Collection: Horrabridge Station, Devon, April 1960

Horrabridge Station, Devon, April 1960
A view of Horrabridge station in Devon taken in April 1960, showing engine number 1434 passing engine number 5531. Horrabridge station opened on the South Devon and Tavistock Railway in 1859

Background image1960s Collection: 12a Carpenters Shop, 1960

12a Carpenters Shop, 1960
The carpenters shop was based within the Carriage and Wagons Works. Here they made an array of wooden items for use within the Great Western Railway

Background image1960s Collection: Bittaford Platform, Devon, c. 1960

Bittaford Platform, Devon, c. 1960
A view of a disused Bittaford Platform in Devon, taken around 1960, soon after its closure. This unstaffed station opened in 1907 by the Bittaford Viaduct and closed in 1959

Background image1960s Collection: Bishops Nympton and Molland Station, Devon, c. 1960

Bishops Nympton and Molland Station, Devon, c. 1960
A view of Bishops Nympton and Molland Station in Devon, c.1960. Originally part of the Devon & Somerset Railway the station opened in the 1870s

Background image1960s Collection: St Germans Station, Cornwall, c. 1960

St Germans Station, Cornwall, c. 1960
A view of the platforms and passenger bridge at St Germans station in Cornwall, c.1960. The station opened in 1859 on the Cornish Main Line, and lies west of the St Germans Viaduct

Background image1960s Collection: Athelney Station and Signal Box, Somerset, c. 1960

Athelney Station and Signal Box, Somerset, c. 1960
A view of Athelney Station on the Somerset Levels, c.1960, showing the signal box and station building on the right of the image

Background image1960s Collection: Loco No. 5952 at Evesham Station, Worcestershire, c. 1960

Loco No. 5952 at Evesham Station, Worcestershire, c. 1960
A view of Evesham Station in Worcestershire, c.1960, with locomotive No. 5952 Cogan Hall by the Goods Shed on the right

Background image1960s Collection: Ballingham Station, c. 1960s

Ballingham Station, c. 1960s
A view looking north towards Hereford as a diesel train approaches the station. This line was once part of the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester Railway

Background image1960s Collection: Athelney Station, Somerset, c. 1960

Athelney Station, Somerset, c. 1960
A view of Athelney station in Somerset, c.1960, looking towards the level crossing gates. Athelney station opened on the Yeovil-Taunton Line in 1853 and closed in June 1964

Background image1960s Collection: Paignton Harbour, c. 1960s

Paignton Harbour, c. 1960s
A rather glamorous woman and a fisherman sit amongst lobster baskets and boats in this staged shot from the 1960s. The light coloured building in the background is the Harbour Light Cafe

Background image1960s Collection: Preteign Station, Wales, 1961

Preteign Station, Wales, 1961
A view of Preteign Station in Presteigne on the Welsh borders. Taken in 1961 after the station closed to passenger services, the image is looking down platform to the goods shed

Background image1960s Collection: Bridgnorth Station, Shropshire, c. 1950s

Bridgnorth Station, Shropshire, c. 1950s
A view of Bridgnorth station in Shropshire, c.1950s or early 1960s. This image shows the traditional station buildings that were built in 1862 when the station opened

Background image1960s Collection: Shrewbury Station, Shropshire, c. 1950s-1960s

Shrewbury Station, Shropshire, c. 1950s-1960s
A general view of Shrewsbury station in Shropshire showing the platforms and track from the Castle Foregate end, and diesel locomotives at the station

Background image1960s Collection: Eardington Halt, Shropshire, c. 1960s

Eardington Halt, Shropshire, c. 1960s
A view of Eardington station in Shropshire, c.1960s. Taken from the side of a train at the station, the image shows the small station building or shelter and the platform

Background image1960s Collection: Reading Station, 1967

Reading Station, 1967
A view of Reading station, Berkshire in 1967, looking at the outside of the station from the south west side. A number of cars and delivery vehicles are parked along the front of the station building

Background image1960s Collection: Craven Arms And Stokesay Station, Shropshire, c. 1950s

Craven Arms And Stokesay Station, Shropshire, c. 1950s
A view of Craven Arms and Stokesay Station in Shropshire, c.1950s, showing the station buildings with ornate awnings, footbridge and platforms

Background image1960s Collection: Oswestry Station, Shropshire, c. 1960s

Oswestry Station, Shropshire, c. 1960s
A view of Oswestry station in Shropshire, c.1960s, showing a number of motor vehicles under the awning by the platform. Oswestry station opened in May 1860, closing to passengers in November 1966

Background image1960s Collection: Paddington Station, Platform 1 Reconstruction, 1967

Paddington Station, Platform 1 Reconstruction, 1967
A view of platform 1 at London Paddington station, taken on 22nd October 1967 during the demolition of the old wooden platforms and their reconstruction

Background image1960s Collection: Purton Station, Wiltshire, 1961

Purton Station, Wiltshire, 1961
A through view of Purton station in Wiltshire taken on 25th May 1961. The image shows a station building with a 20th century design and the goods shed. The station opened in 1841 and closed in 1964

Background image1960s Collection: Elizabeth II on a Royal Visit to Cardiff, 5th August 1960

Elizabeth II on a Royal Visit to Cardiff, 5th August 1960
This image shows H.M. The Queen arriving at the station on a Royal Visit to Cardiff on the 5th August 1960. The Lady Mayor is with The Queen

Background image1960s Collection: Royal Visit to Cardiff & Station Decorations, 5th August 1960

Royal Visit to Cardiff & Station Decorations, 5th August 1960
This photograph shows the station decorations at Cardiff prepared in advance of the Royal Visit on 5th August 1960, with flags, banners and crests

Background image1960s Collection: Loco No 6848 Toddington Grange, at Honeybourne Junction

Loco No 6848 Toddington Grange, at Honeybourne Junction
Locomotive number 6848 Toddington Grange, seen here at Honeybourne Junction with signals and a water tower

Background image1960s Collection: Loco No 6847 Tidmarsh Grange, at Honeybourne Junction

Loco No 6847 Tidmarsh Grange, at Honeybourne Junction
Locomotive number 6847 Tidmarsh Grange steaming through Honeybourne Junction in Worcestershire on 6th August 1960



All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping