Neyland Station, Pembrokeshire, c.1930s
A view of Neyland station in Pembrokeshire, Wales, c.1930s, showing a locomotive departing from the station. Goods facilities and signals can also be seen in this image.
The station opened in April 1856 under the name Milford Haven, then changed its name again twice in 1859! In 1906 it became known as Neyland station and ran until the last passenger service in June 1964
© STEAM Museum of the GWR
GWR lorry delivering paintings from the National Gallery to a slate mine in Wales in 1940
This photograph of a GWR lorry was taken around 1940. It shows the in delivery of historic and valuable paintings from the National Gallery in London to the disused Manod slate mine at Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales. In the 10 days following the declaration of war on 3rd September 1939 the National Gallery, with the help of the GWR road cartage department, removed the majority of their paintings to safer locations in Wales. The GWR was praised by Gallery officers for their "wonderful work" and the "great care" with which the artworks were handled. In the next few months it was decided to store all the paintings in one location and the Manod slate mine was the perfect choice. The GWR assisted in the relocation which was completed by the summer of 1941
Barry Island, Glamorgan, Wales, August 1927
View of Barry Island beach and Whitmore Bay, Vale of Glamorgan, south Wales, summer 1927. The beach is filled with holidaymakers enjoying the sunshine and lounging in deckchairs. A group of boys are sitting on a wooden wheeled boarding ramp for small boats which is laying up on the upper part of the beach. There is a Punch and Judy stand in the distance and donkey rides