Skip to main content
emoji_people
Please order early for Christmas to avoid disappointment. More details here...
card_giftcard
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > GWR Road Vehicles

GWR Road Vehicles Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 35 pictures in our GWR Road Vehicles collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


GWR fire brigade at Paddington Station taking part in a drill, c.1940 Featured GWR Road Vehicles Print

GWR fire brigade at Paddington Station taking part in a drill, c.1940

This image shows members of the GWR fire brigade at Paddington Station taking part in a drill. Training was an important part of fire fighting and kept employees prepared in case of an emergency. The enthusiasm for drill work was so much that in January 1943 a competition was introduced. The inaugural all-line trailer pump competition took place at Paddington Mint Stables and comprised of 13 male teams and four female teams, with Exeter Locomotive Depot and Cardiff Queen Street Station winning respectively. The competitions continued until the end of the war

GWR lorry delivering paintings from the National Gallery to a slate mine in Wales in 1940 Featured GWR Road Vehicles Print

GWR lorry delivering paintings from the National Gallery to a slate mine in Wales in 1940

This photograph of a GWR lorry was taken around 1940. It shows the in delivery of historic and valuable paintings from the National Gallery in London to the disused Manod slate mine at Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales. In the 10 days following the declaration of war on 3rd September 1939 the National Gallery, with the help of the GWR road cartage department, removed the majority of their paintings to safer locations in Wales. The GWR was praised by Gallery officers for their ?wonderful work? and the ?great care? with which the artworks were handled. In the next few months it was decided to store all the paintings in one location and the Manod slate mine was the perfect choice. The GWR assisted in the relocation which was completed by the summer of 1941