Skip to main content

Home > Places > Swindon's Railway Village > GWR Railway Village

GWR Railway Village Collection

GWR Company Housing and Social Provisions

Choose a picture from our collection for your Wall Art and Photo Gifts

18 Items

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Back yard of No 34 Faringdon Road - present day

Back yard of No 34 Faringdon Road - present day
No 34 was built in 1846 and is now the Railway Village Museum

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: No 34 Faringdon Road - present day

No 34 Faringdon Road - present day
No 34 Faringdon Road was built in 1846 and is now the Railway Village Museum

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, 1928

Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, 1928
Hoards of men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, 1928. The pattern shop is in the background and an omnibus with Arkells advertising on it

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Swindon Works Trip, 1931

Swindon Works Trip, 1931
GWR families from Swindon wait in line to board the trains for Trip week. Destinations included Weymouth, Weston Super Mare and Cornwall

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: New Swindon, c1860

New Swindon, c1860
This early view of Swindon looking north shows the Works and the Railway Village in their infancy. St Marks Church can clearly be seen just behind the newly laid out park

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: W J Knee, Newsagent - Emlyn Square 1929

W J Knee, Newsagent - Emlyn Square 1929
W J Knee the Newsagent was located at the corner of Emlyn Square and London Street

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Swindon Works Trip, c1910

Swindon Works Trip, c1910
GWR families from Swindon wait in line to board the trains for Trip week. Destinations included Weymouth, Weston Super Mare and Cornwall

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, c. 1910

Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, c. 1910
Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, c.1910

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: GWR Childrens Fete - Cake cutting team, c1900

GWR Childrens Fete - Cake cutting team, c1900
Team of men and women cutting up 4 tons of fruit cake for the GWR Childrens Fete. It is believed that the machine used to cut the cakes was designed and built at Swindon Works

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: London Street, c. 1950

London Street, c. 1950
London Street, c.1950

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Bathampton Street, c. 1970s

Bathampton Street, c. 1970s
View looking towards the GWR Park

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Swindon Works and Railway Village by Edward Snell. 1849

Swindon Works and Railway Village by Edward Snell. 1849
An early watercolour painting of New Swindon by Edward Snell. Snell was head draughtsman at Swindon Works, later becoming assistant to Works Manager, Archibold Sturrock in 1846

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Swindon Engineering Society offices in Emlyn Square, 1929

Swindon Engineering Society offices in Emlyn Square, 1929
The offices were on the corner of Emlyn Square and Oxford Street. W J Knees the newsagent can be seen to the left of the image

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Church Place, Swindon, 1927

Church Place, Swindon, 1927
This house belonged to C B Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer at Swindon. He was a very private man, hence the high privet hedge surrounding the cottage

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Managers Houses (l-r, Marlow House and Station House) c1910

Managers Houses (l-r, Marlow House and Station House) c1910
These managers residences or villas were built to the north of Swindon Station. Similar houses had once stood adjacent to the Railway Village but were demolished in the 1870s

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Faringdon Road cottages - present day

Faringdon Road cottages - present day
This row of cottages was built in 1846. The cottage in the foreground is No. 34 - now the Railway Village Museum

Background imageGWR Railway Village Collection: Back ally of Faringdon Road cottages - present day

Back ally of Faringdon Road cottages - present day
This row of cottages was built in 1846. The cottage in the foreground is No. 34 - now the Railway Village Museum


All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping