Featured Swindon Town Station Image
Swindon Town Station
Swindon Town Station was on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway in Swindon's Old Town area. The impressive main offices of the railway company can be seen in the centre of this image. The station was in operation for only 85 years after facing increasing competition from the town's GWR station and as the focus of the town moved away from the Old Town area to Swindon's new town which had developed around the GWR station and railway works.
The station opened in 1881 and closed to passengers in 1961
© STEAM Museum of the GWR