Skip to main content

Ambulance Collection

Background imageAmbulance Collection: Mess room of No. 16 Ambulance train, March 1915

Mess room of No. 16 Ambulance train, March 1915
No.16 Ambulance train was built at Swindon Works in 1915 and was paid for by the United Kingdom Flour Millers Association. It was equipped with patient beds, a pharmacy and treatment rooms

Background imageAmbulance Collection: USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 coupled to an ambulance train, 1942

USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 coupled to an ambulance train, 1942
Once the USA joined the war following the bombing of Pearl Harbour in December 1941 the GWR became involved in the provision of rolling stock for use by the American Army

Background imageAmbulance Collection: Siphon G Wagon converted to ward car No. 3209 in 1943

Siphon G Wagon converted to ward car No. 3209 in 1943
By the spring of 1940 Britains railway companies had supplied 25 ambulance trains for use both at home and abroad. In September 1942 the government ordered a further 27 ambulance trains

Background imageAmbulance Collection: No. 16 ambulance train ward carriage, April 1915

No. 16 ambulance train ward carriage, April 1915
Built at Swindon Works in 1915 and paid for by the United Kingdom Flour Millers Association. The ward carriages had a three tier folding bunk system that allowed patients to be either sat up or lying

Background imageAmbulance Collection: GWR staff loading a stretcher into a parcel van which has been converted into an ambulance, 1940

GWR staff loading a stretcher into a parcel van which has been converted into an ambulance, 1940. The van bears the GWR roundel branding and a stylised poster on the side

Background imageAmbulance Collection: No. 16 Ambulance train at Rushy Platt, Swindon 1915

No. 16 Ambulance train at Rushy Platt, Swindon 1915
No.16 Ambulance train was built at Swindon Works in 1915 and was paid for by the United Kingdom Flour Millers Association. It was equipped with patient beds, a pharmacy and treatment rooms

Background imageAmbulance Collection: Goods vehicle converted into an ambulance ward car, c. 1940

Goods vehicle converted into an ambulance ward car, c. 1940
This photograph shows an interior view of a goods vehicle that has been converted into an ambulance ward car. The basic slatted bunks held up by chains look to offer little in the way of comfort

Background imageAmbulance Collection: Pharmacy car of No. 16 Ambulance train, March 1915

Pharmacy car of No. 16 Ambulance train, March 1915
No.16 Ambulance train was built at Swindon Works in 1915 and was paid for by the United Kingdom Flour Millers Association. It was equipped with patient beds, a pharmacy and treatment rooms

Background imageAmbulance Collection: Railway carriage converted to an ambulance ward car, c1939

Railway carriage converted to an ambulance ward car, c1939
This internal view of an ambulance ward car gives a clear image of both the ingenuity used in converting rolling stock for medical use, but also the cramped conditions endured within these vehicles

Background imageAmbulance Collection: Kitchen Car of No. 16 Ambulance train, April 1915

Kitchen Car of No. 16 Ambulance train, April 1915
No.16 Ambulance train was built at Swindon Works in 1915 and was paid for by the United Kingdom Flour Millers Association - A plaque can be seen on the door denoting the gift by the association

Background imageAmbulance Collection: GWR parcel van converted into an ambulance, 1940

GWR parcel van converted into an ambulance, 1940. The driver and another man in uniform are wearing gas masks. The van bears the GWR roundel branding


All Professionally Made to Order for Quick Shipping