Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Swindon Works

Swindon Works Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

The GWR's Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Works at Swindon

Choose from 272 pictures in our Swindon Works collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


View of Swindon Works, c1860 Featured Swindon Works Print

View of Swindon Works, c1860

This early photograph of the Works was taken from St Marks Church and shows R Shop (Machine Shop). Hundreds of wheels can be seen stored outside ready to be fitted to vehicles. R Shop now houses STEAM Museum of the GWR

© STEAM Museum of the GWR

1860s, Chimney, Factory, R Shop, Swindon, Swindon Works, Victorian, Workshop

Swindon Works Tunnel Entrance, 1935 Featured Swindon Works Print

Swindon Works Tunnel Entrance, 1935

A sea of men can be seen leaving the Works, probably at lunchtime. This was the main entrance tunnel for the Works. The doors were promptly closed after each call for work. Anyone late to work could not get in and have to explain themselves to the gatehouse staff

© STEAM Museum of the GWR

1930s, 1935, Entrance, People, Swindon Works, Tunnel

USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 coupled to an ambulance train, 1942 Featured Swindon Works Print

USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 coupled to an ambulance train, 1942

Once the USA joined the war following the bombing of Pearl Harbour in December 1941 the GWR became involved in the provision of rolling stock for use by the American Army. As preparations for D Day progressed, the US requested that 10 ambulance trains be provided for the conveyance of American casualties. This image shows the official handing over of the first of these trains in a ceremony held at Swindon Works on the 24th March 1943. The 14 coach train was aptly hauled by USA S160 2-8-0 locomotive No. 1606 and comprised of six ward cars, kitchen cars, a pharmacy and operating theatre, and carriages for staff. The handover was performed by GWR Chief Mechanical Engineer F.W Hawksworth, stood to the right of the group of uniformed American Officers, and the occasion was considered noteworthy enough for the attendance of a newsreel camera which can just be seen to the far right of this photograph